Solarium Renovation and Upkeep
- Noah Weller (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Suma Lashof (email@example.com)
Goal #1. Brainstorm Uses for the Corner Niche (Suma): We will discuss and create a plan for a more effective use of the back corner of the solarium. This could include replacing the bench or finding new use for the space.
- Research local bench designs & manufacturers
- Brainstorm ideas for a colorful, hanging mobile to hang above the bench OR a mural to be painted on the back wall
- Look into motion sensor LED lights
- Revise past intern's bench proposal (emphasize sustainable harvest)
- Present proposal to the Dean of RSENR
Goal #2. Characterize Climate & Compile Temperature Profile: We plan to record and monitor the temperature of the solarium at different heights (4ft, 13ft, and 23ft) and locations around the solarium and re-evaluate what plants will excel in this environment based on the temperature profile.
- Plot the solarium temperatures for each height at various times throughout the day
- Find the hourly minimum and maximum temperature throughout the day from last Spring's data
- Use this information to select plants that would thrive in the Solarium
Goal #3. Modify Plant Composition: We will identify a few plants that don't seem to be thriving in the solarium (ex. banana tree) and replace them with plants better suited for the conditions
- Consult Colleen & ask her for suggestions on plants to remove
- Use the temperature profiles to determine plants that will survive in the Solarium
Goal #4. Create a Fertilization Plan (Noah): We hope to test the effectiveness of a selected fertilizer on different planting areas to assess the most effective treatment.
- Obtain the soil testing data from past years to identify soil deficiencies
- Do some background research on organic (possibly liquid) fertilizers that could be applied across selected Solarium grow beds based on the nutrients that the soil needs
- Take initial measurements of a few selected plants before fertilization to be used for comparison by future interns
Goal #5. Create and Implement a Seasonal Maintenance Plan (Noah & Suma): We are responsible for watering, misting, grooming (removing dead plant tissue, etc.), scouting, and pruning.
- Revise/update management plan from Colleen's summer interns (Noah)
- Gather/purchase necessary materials
- General maintenance & upkeep work throughout the semester (under Colleen's supervision, when available)
- Follow an appropriate watering schedule
Major Maintenance Events:
- 2/13/17 Removed banana tree & dead plant tissue (34.2 lbs)
- 3/23/17 Removed dead plant tissue (6.5 lbs)
- 4/3/17 Pruning with Dave
- 4/24/17 Replant North Bed with Colleen
- 5/4/17 Final grooming with Colleen
Soil Testing Results: